Here is another card-making idea using a range of different media – card, recycled paper, fabric (linen), string (jute twine), buttons and wooden shapes.
I bought this great stack of recycled paper one day at a Florist/Gift Store. I have used this paper so much in my card making since I purchase it – luckily it was a big stack! I just love the recycled, old fashioned, rustic look to gives to my cards.
Craft shops will supply most of the materials required for this craft but I bought most of them fairly cheaply in the… craft aisle at department stores and those cheap variety shops.
If you don’t have time to run around and find all the bits you need for this project you can purchase a kit from my Etsy Store. See below to see what is included in the kit – all the material you need to make 5 cards.
You can check out how easy they are to make before you buy. You will need double sided tape, mounting tape, scissors and a glue gun to complete the cards.
Here is how I made these cards:
- Place card inside folded recycled paper
2. Cut a piece of black jute twine ~ 1m long
3. Cut out the Greetings signs from natural card ~2.5cm x 9cm. Stamp with your choice of greeting.
4. Carefully cut the small triangle piece from the right hand side of each sign to create that ‘flag’ look.
5. Cut the linen or cotton fabric into different shapes for each card ~3 1/2 x 15cm;3 1/2 x 4cm; 3 1/2 x 3 1/2cm; 7 1/2 x 5cm and 5 x 7 1/2cm. Gently fray the edges a little.
6. Using double sided tape or a glue stick attach the 3 1/2 x 3 1/2cm linen piece onto a medium tag and the 3 1/2 x 4cm linen piece onto a large tag. Stick the 5 x 7 1/2cm linen piece onto the other large tag.
7. With double sided tape or glue stick secure the 3 1/2 x 15cm piece of linen onto the recycled paper. Also stick the 7 1/2 x 5cm piece onto the recycled paper.
8. With glue gun or PVA attach the wooden shapes onto the tags
- flower and butterfly onto small tags
- bird onto the medium size tag
- Leaf and butterfly onto the large tags
- Mushroom onto the medium tag
9. Put each card together as follows using photos as a guide:
Wind string around card face 3 times and tie off inside card to secure.
Cut piece of string ~ 20cm and attach to tag.
Position ‘Best Wishes’ sign and secure with normal double sided tape (under string)
Position tag in place and secure with mounting tape.
Glue button in place with glue gun
Your card is now compete
Make other cards using the same techniques as above. Instructions on how to assemble them is outlined below. Please use photos as a guided for placement.
Wind string around card face 3 times and tie off inside card to secure. Position tag and ‘Best Wishes’ sign in place (under string). Secure ‘Best Wishes’ sign with normal tape and tag with mounting tape. Tie a small bow with string and glue bow and button in place with glue gun
Wind string around card face 3 times and tie off inside card to secure. Cut piece of string ~ 20cm and attach to tag. Position tag and ‘Best Wishes’ sign in place. Secure with double sided mounting tape. Put button in place with glue gun
- Owl –
Wind string around card face 3 times and tie off inside card to secure. Position tag and ‘Best Wishes’ sign in place. Secure with double sided mounting tape. Tie a small bow with string and glue bow and button in place with glue gun
- Flower and butterfly
Thread tags onto string. Wind string around card face 3 times and tie off inside the card to secure. Position tags and ‘Best wishes’ sign in place. Secure with double sided mounting tape. Glue button on with glue gun.
Your cards are now complete.
If you don’t have access to all these materials or the time to go hunting for them you can purchase kits for these on my Etsy Store.
I have tried to keep my kits as simple and affordable as possible to ensure a successful and satisfying outcome. This is very easy craft and a great one to do in a group so get some ladies together and have a go.
Kits provide all the materials you need, including the stamped greetings. You just need to supply your own scissors, double sided tape, double sided mounting tape and glue gun (or PVA). These are all available at most departments stores like Kmart, Target or Big W or cheap variety shops.